Monday, April 26, 2010

Namesday


I am half Swedish and half Finnish. When I was young, my Swedish grandma, Agnes, would send a namesday card each year to me and my 3 sisters. It would be a sweet little card that she would write "Happy Namesday" in and a quarter would be taped to the inside. Each year it seemed like it came on a different day, we never knew when to expect it. And we certainly never knew how Grandma would know what day was ours! I would feel so special that this was my day. It seemed better than a birthday (almost!). It's funny I don't remember ever asking our grandma what a "namesday" even was! I was reminded of this because of a Swedish calendar I have hanging in my kitchen. I absolutely love all of the pictures of Sweden, but had never paid attention to what was written on each day. Well....there's a name for each day of each month. If you are Amelia, Happy Namesday today! ~Kay

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that's cute! Wouldn't that be fun to give your child whatever the name was for the day they were born? (Assuming, of course, that it was a nice name!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kay,

    I am so glad you are a blogger now :)
    I will link up to you.
    BTW, the little white dresser got her makeover and already sold. So you wont be seeing her at Farm Chicks.
    Hope your having a great weekend
    Blessings
    Julie

    ReplyDelete